Donald R. Calaiaro
Shareholder / President
Donald R. Calaiaro has qualifications that are not equaled in Western Pennsylvania. He is a former Chapter 13 Trustee and a former Chapter 7 Trustee. He is one of only a few lawyers in the United States with a dual certification by the American Board of Certification as a Specialist in both Consumer Bankruptcy Law and Business Bankruptcy Law.
In practice since 1978, he focuses his practice on representing debtors in bankruptcy, mortgage foreclosure defenses, unfair debt collection litigation and other debtor’s rights cases. He is known for his aggressive and dedicated representation of his clients, which include consumers, small businesses, contractors, retailers, restaurateurs and professionals.
Donald R. Calaiaro is a frequent instructor and lecturer in the field of bankruptcy law through his association with the Pennsylvania Bar Institute and the Western Pennsylvania Debtors Bar. He has also appeared as a witness before the Pennsylvania Legislature to advocate for debtor protection laws, as well as an expert witness in bankruptcy litigation.
In addition to his bankruptcy experience, Mr. Calaiaro is also well versed in handling other legal issues that often arise during insolvency proceedings such as real estate issues, IRS matters, criminal law, domestic relations law, personal injury, estate and trusts, contracts, Uniform Commercial Code matters and construction law.
Donald R. Calaiaro has worked on more than 10,000 cases as a trustee or debtor’s lawyer. He handles consumer and business cases in Chapter 7 (liquidations), Chapter 11 (business reorganizations), Chapter 13 (individual reorganizations) and Chapter 12 (family farmer reorganization).
- Sapos v. Provident Institute for Savings, 967 F. 2d 918 (C.A. 3rd Cir. 1992)
- G. Brown v. I.R.S., 130 B.R. 456 Bankr. (W.D. Pa. 1991)
- C. Holt v. Comm. of Pa. Dept. of Public Welfare, 11 B.R. 797 (Bankr. W.D. Pa. 1981)
- In re: Barsotti, 7 B.R. 205 (Bankr. W.D. Pa. 1980)
- D. Calaiaro, Trustee v. Roberts, 126 B.R. 678 (Bankr. W.D. Pa. 1991)
- In re: Coury et al, 22 B.R. 766 (Bankr. W.D. Pa. 1982)
- Donaldson v. Bernstein, Trustee, 104 F. 3rd 547 (C.A. 3rd Cir. 1997)
- Gianakas v. Gianakas, 917 F. 2d 759 (C.A. 3rd Cir. 1990)
- National Union Fire Ins. Co. v. Main, 157 B.R. 786 (D.C. – W.D. Pa. 1992)
- McCartney v. Integra National Bank, North, 106 F. 3rd 506 (C.A. 3rd Cir. 1997)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Solicitor, Golden Wings Foundation, 1997 – Present
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute, 1999 – Present
- Member, National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys, 1998
- Co-Chair, Western Pennsylvania Debtors Bar, 1991 – Present
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association, 1978 – Present
- Member, Council Member, Allegheny County Bar Association, Bankruptcy & Commercial Law Section, 1978 – Present
- Member, American Bar Association, 1978 – 1995
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Pennsylvania, Chapter 13 Trustee, 1980 – 1987
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Pennsylvania, Chapter 7 Trustee, 1975 – 1989
- Dormont Democratic Party, Secretary, 1989 – 1990
- Saldamarco & Calaiaro, Partner, 1978 – 1987
- Offices of E.J. Krug, P.C., Of Counsel, 1987 – 1989
- Allegheny County Public Defenders, Appellate Counsel, 1977 – 1980
- Hollinshead & Mendelson, Law Clerk, 1975 – 1978
Pro Bono Activities
- Volunteer Attorney, Pro Bono Bankruptcy Program, NLSA
- Volunteer Mentor, Pro Bono Bankruptcy Program, NLSA